Tuesday, June 14, 2011

two-toned manicures

Ever since last fall I've been hearing a lot about the two-toned manicure (one finger painted an alternate color). I quickly filed it under "trends I'll never try" and moved on. Lately I've started to think that maybe it was possible I wrote this fad off too soon, much like I did with the romper which I now love (.. it was first introduced to me on the Victoria's Secret website as a "playsuit"- can you really blame me?)

A combination of intense summer boredom and the overwhelming sense of confidence brought on by my tan (too much confidence probably) made me decide to give the two-toned manicure a fair chance. After careful consideration of my nail polish collection, I chose Keep it Teal by Roxy as my primary polish and aptly named Space Cadet by Orly as my accent.
Keep it Teal, Space Cadet
Light blue polish is always a favorite of mine for the summer and the iridescent Orly polish actually picks up a lot of color, so I figured it would be a pretty safe combo.

After swiping on a few coats of polish, plus a clear top coat, this was the result:
Yes, those are horizontal stripes. When I break one fashion rule, I BREAK THEM ALL.
At first I was unsure about the rogue nail, but the more a look at it the more it grows on me. It kind of feels like a manicure I would have given myself in the third grade.. but hey, what's so wrong with indulging your inner eight year-old every now and then?

Tell me your take on the two-toned manicure and your favorite polish combinations!
peace,
Katina

2 comments:

  1. Ahh Katina I did that this week, too! Although my limited color choices left me with seafoam green and a dark metallic forest green ... Not recommended (yours is cute though!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah great minds think alike! Once they chip my next plan is to try this http://cupcakesandcashmere.com/sparkled-lilac/

    ReplyDelete